Sunday, July 1, 2012

Update Saturday June 30

Update from my brother about yesterday:

Good news today.  The doctor had told me that we should expect her to get worse before she gets better.  However, Diana and I have now seen my Mom three times since her surgery - Friday evening, Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon.  Each time, she has looked a little bit more alert and in better shape.

The nurse went in to take her temperature this morning while I was in the room, and I kind of held my breath.  A temperature obviously may show the body fighting off an infection.  But no temperature- great. Her neck is less swollen; I wouldn't say back to normal, but definitely a lot better.  You can see a little bag where fluid is, that is being drained from her neck, and there is a line draining fluid from her chest.

Several of her friends that Diana and I have reached out to recently have remarked- I didn't even know she was going in for surgery.  Yes, her sleep apnea surgery was supposed to be short and sweet, on an outpatient basis, and she was even expected to fly to Greece this coming Tuesday, July 3, with the Indian River Charter High School's chorus. She serves on the board there and is very proud of the excellent education that they provide, and this trip would have been a highlight for her.

She has asked Diana several times when she is going home to Vero Beach, and each of us today what day it was.  She is still a bit "out of it", but she is on morphine for pain and also the nurse said that her medication makes her drowsy.  So, Diana and I want to make sure that she knows she's not alone, but we also want to let her rest.  We can each go in for about 5-10 minutes and then she starts to get sleepy and we let her rest.  Today, the nurse also moved her to the chair - this is to help her body and muscles keep working.  The nurse said it went fine, it just tired her out- but being able to do that is a good step.

Today was also a first in that Diana and I were able to visit with her together.  She was able to hold my hand in her right hand, and Diana's hand in her left hand. This was very meaningful for Diana and I, and we hope for her.  We were able to do this due to the kindness of a friend who came to give Diana and I some company over a meal and watch baby Nico while Diana and I visited with our mom.  We understand that a few more people from Vero will be able to do this and are very thankful for that. (Pam has offered to coordinate that, so if you'd like to help us in that way, please email Pam Schwartz.)

Even more of Mom's kind personality, that so many of you appreciate, comes out with the morphine.  In Vero Beach, she was telling me it was going to be ok and winking at me.  Here in Miami, she is always thanking the nurses and trying to remember their names.  She told Diana that the doctor asked her to be his date this weekend : )

In the midst of what has provided us with more hope and promise, we are surrounded by families walking through difficult situations of their own and dealing with difficult news.  One man had a hole in his skull to remove pressure on his brain, and over 10 of his family members had come to visit him.  On his way to the hospital, the wheel fell off the ambulance bed and the bed tipped over.  Another family heard the difficult news that there were many issues with their loved one, and even if he got better at this time, he didn't have more than a few months left.  Why does God move in the ways He moves - or perhaps, another way - how do we know God is not moving when he allows people to leave the pain they have in this life. These are questions that I walked through (though I do not think you ever complete the walk) three years ago when my father died.  I do not think there is an answer other than surrendering to God's majesty and will and plan.

Thank you for the notes and pictures you have sent to me at russellbjorkman@hotmail.com.  We read several of them to my Mom today, and will continue to read and share when they come in.  She smiles and understands them and I am confident they lift up her spirit.  I do understand your desire to come and visit her as several have expressed, and Diana and I have asked her several times, and she does not want visitors (and you know her- she will want to smile and talk, and she just needs to rest).

Please pray for:
-her body to fight off any infection and God's hand to remove any infection
-her body to recover quickly and fully from the surgery her esophagus to heal fully-
-wisdom for the doctors and nurses
-little baby Nico to be healthy, as we're in the hospital a lot
-peace for Diana and I

With love,
Russell and Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment