Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Update Tuesday July 3

Update from Russell about Tuesday:

More good news as I write this today.  I will keep it short though as it is late and it is important to keep healthy on our side (Diana, myself). 

My Mom went for 2 walks today.  First walks (other than to the bathroom) for one week.  Tired her out a bit.  She will also be moved from the morphine "pump" to the morphine upon request this evening.  These are both positive steps.  We have a plan for getting her to walk more tomorrow - baby Nico can't come into the unit that she's in, but she usually sits in a little room at the entrance to the unit with my sister or my Mom's cousin Karen if I'm in with my Mom.  So, we can encourage my Mom to walk to the end of the hall, so that she can see little baby Nico.  That will be a long walk for her, but a great reward as well.  

My Mom apparently had a real hard time sleeping last night, with the beeps from the machine, other patients making noise, etc.  Tonight her cousin is staying in the room, to make sure she has everything she needs, and she will have some anti-anxiety medication at night.  We hope that this will really help her rest fully, as we know how important that is.  

She was a bit disoriented today, not nearly as much as yesterday and mostly in the morning only.  I don't know if that is the morphine, effect of being off her medication, etc.  Its a bit disconcerting when it happens, but I try to keep the big picture of improvement in mind, which is still good.  When she called Diana last night, she asked something to the effect of - if I don't pass the swallow test on Friday, am I going to die?  We think that's she is putting together pieces of information such as - how serious it is; what test will be done in the future; etc - but she, especially when we're not there in person and at night - can't quite put it all together in a logical manner.  We reassure her and she seems to understand the reassurance.  That question did not come up again today and we explained in person that she would be ok.  In any event, it is not the kind of pain or mental anguish or confusion that you want your mother to be in.  

The ENT team and the thoracic surgery team differ a little bit on things such as whether to add medication to reduce saliva flow (attempting to improve throat healing), etc.  But what I think it good here is that there are 2 teams of really smart people trying to get my Mom better.  Great.  

Please pray her:
Healing sleep for my Mom
A calm and strong mind - we know our God is one of a sound mind
Any infection to be fought off, and for God's hand to move specifically to remove any infection
Her throat to heal 
Wisdom for the doctors
There is a lady on her floor, apparently in a lot of pain (screaming out at night).  Please pray for this woman. 

I continue to share pictures and letters that you send me, with her.  Please send them to me direct at russellbjorkman@hotmail.com.  

Thank you 

Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment