Friday, July 13, 2012

Update Thursday July 12

Update July 12

More positive news today.   My Mom continues to eat soft food - remember when your parents told you to chew your food properly?  Well now I get to remind my Mom of the same thing...

The infectious disease team is still trying to confirm exactly what type of yeast is in my Mom's blood, so that they can prescribe the right anti-fungal.  But the good news is that she can have the appropriate medicine at home, in Vero, with a home healthcare nurse, instead of sitting in a hospital for another 10 days just to have an IV...

So, two really major points from today.
1. My Mom is expected to be released Friday, for sure.  Yay! We will meet with Diana, Jason and Nico for a smoothie and then head back home.

2. The doctor came in and talked with my Mom, and told her - I didn't want to tell you this earlier, but now that you're better, I wanted to let you know that the rate of death in injuries like yours is 30-40%. Let that sink in for a moment. She had a 1 in 3 chance of not making it, of dying, from what happened to her.

The doctor (who is really nice and a great guy) said that part of what helped her was that she didn't have additional negative factors like being overweight, diabetes, low blood pressure, etc; her faith; and her friends and Diana and I here with her.

"Her faith"... Of course we also know that its not just an empty faith. "if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied. (1 Corinthians 15)

Why does that verse come to mind?  Because in my own life, I do things to keep myself healthy and in a good state mentally as well, like bikram yoga, and clearing my mind for a few minutes (mediation), etc.  But I know full well - who is going to save me?  My having a clear mind or a focused mind or a healthy body is not going to really SAVE me.  When I'm here in the hospital, with people dealing with very difficult issues, there is only one person who has the power to save.

Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment